#41 [url]

Mar 2 16 1:53 PM

Thanks for the quotes, Lord Morgue.

That last one by Jack Donovan reminded me of a tune, "Expendable Youth:"

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#42 [url]

Mar 22 16 8:06 AM

"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence and thereby eventually lose all ability to defend ourselves and those we love. In a modern economy it is impossible to seal oneself off from injustice.

If we have brains or courage, then we are blessed and called on not to frit these qualities away, standing agape at the ideas of others, winning pissing contests, improving the efficiencies of the neocorporate state, or immersing ourselves in obscuranta, but rather to prove the vigor of our talents against the strongest opponents of love we can find.
If we can only live once, then let it be a daring adventure that draws on all our powers. Let it be with similar types whos hearts and heads we may be proud of. Let our grandchildren delight to find the start of our stories in their ears but the endings all around in their wandering eyes.
The whole universe or the structure that perceives it is a worthy opponent, but try as I may I can not escape the sound of suffering. 
Perhaps as an old man I will take great comfort in pottering around in a lab and gently talking to students in the summer evening and will accept suffering with insouciance. But not now; men in their prime, if they have convictions are tasked to act on them."

"The west has fiscalised its basic power relationships through a web of contracts, loans, shareholdings, bank holdings and so on. In such an environment it is easy for speech to be “free” because a change in political will rarely leads to any change in these basic instruments. Western speech, as something that rarely has any effect on power, is, like badgers and birds, free. In states like China, there is pervasive censorship, because speech still has power and power is scared of it. We should always look at censorship as an economic signal that reveals the potential power of speech in that jurisdiction."

"The world is not sliding, but galloping into a new transnational dystopia. This development has not been properly recognized outside of national security circles. It has been hidden by secrecy, complexity and scale. The internet, our greatest tool of emancipation, has been transformed into the most dangerous facilitator of totalitarianism we have ever seen. The internet is a threat to human civilization.
These transformations have come about silently, because those who know what is going on work in the global surveillance industry and have no incentives to speak out. Left to its own trajectory, within a few years, global civilization will be a postmodern surveillance dystopia, from which escape for all but the most skilled individuals will be impossible. In fact, we may already be there.
While many writers have considered what the internet means for global civilization, they are wrong. They are wrong because they do not have the sense of perspective that direct experience brings. They are wrong because they have never met the enemy."

"A great number of those working for liberal causes are not only shy but borderline collusive. They want change to happen nicely, and it won't. They want decency to come about without anybody suffering or being embarrassed, and it won't. And most of all they want to give many of the enemies of open government the benefit of the doubt, and I don't. It's not just a difference of approach, it's a complete schism in our respective philosophy. You can't go about disclosure in the hope that it won't spoil anybody's dinner."

"Courage is not the absence of fear. Only fools have no fear. 
Rather, courage is the intellectual mastery of fear by understanding 
the true risks and opportunities of the situation and keeping those 
things in balance."

"Big Brother is home. He is installed in the item you just dragged home from the Apple store."

"There is an uncomfortable willingness among privacy campaigners to discriminate against mass surveillance conducted by the state to the exclusion of similar surveillance conducted for profit by large corporations. Partially, this is a vestigial ethic from the Californian libertarian origins of online pro-privacy campaigning. Partially, it is a symptom of the superior public relations enjoyed by Silicon Valley technology corporations, and the fact that those corporations also provide the bulk of private funding for the flagship digital privacy advocacy groups, leading to a conflict of interest.
At the individual level, many of even the most committed privacy campaigners have an unacknowledged addiction to easy-to-use, privacy-destroying amenities like Gmail, Facebook, and Apple products. As a result, privacy campaigners frequently overlook corporate surveillance abuses. When they do address the abuses of companies like Google, campaigners tend to appeal to the logic of the market, urging companies to make small concessions to user privacy in order to repair their approval ratings. There is the false assumption that market forces ensure that Silicon Valley is a natural government antagonist, and that it wants to be on the public’s side—that profit-driven multinational corporations partake more of the spirit of democracy than government agencies.
Many privacy advocates justify a predominant focus on abuses by the state on the basis that the state enjoys a monopoly on coercive force. For example, Edward Snowden was reported to have said that tech companies do not “put warheads on foreheads.” This view downplays the fact that powerful corporations are part of the nexus of power around the state, and that they enjoy the ability to deploy its coercive power, just as the state often exerts its influence through the agency of powerful corporations. The movement to abolish privacy is twin-horned. Privacy advocates who focus exclusively on one of those horns will find themselves gored on the other."

"Cryptography is the ultimate form of non-violent direct action."

"The received wisdom in advanced capitalist societies is that there still exists an organic “civil society sector” in which institutions form autonomously and come together to manifest the interests and will of citizens. The fable has it that the boundaries of this sector are respected by actors from government and the “private sector,” leaving a safe space for NGOs and nonprofits to advocate for things like human rights, free speech, and accountable government.
This sounds like a great idea. But if it was ever true, it has not been for decades. Since at least the 1970s, authentic actors like unions and churches have folded under a sustained assault by free-market statism, transforming “civil society” into a buyer’s market for political factions and corporate interests looking to exert influence at arm’s length. The last forty years have seen a huge proliferation of think tanks and political NGOs whose purpose, beneath all the verbiage, is to execute political agendas by proxy."

"Power is a thing of perception. They don't need to be able to kill you. They just need you to think they are able to kill you."

-- Julian Assange

"I have a high art: I hurt with cruelty those who wound me." (Archilochus)

Quote    Reply   

#43 [url]

Apr 1 16 9:27 AM

"Being defeated is often a temporary condition. Giving up is what makes it permanent."

"To acquire knowledge, one must study; but to acquire wisdom, one must observe."

"Success is achieved by developing our strengths, not by eliminating our weaknesses."

"What is the essence of America? The essence of America is finding and maintaining that perfect, delicate balance between freedom "to" and freedom "from"."

"Skill is successfully walking a tightrope between the twin towers of New York's World Trade Center. Intelligence is not trying."

"The length of your education is less important than its breadth, and the length of your life is less important than its depth."

"A fool is someone whose pencil wears out before its eraser does."

-- Marilyn Vos Savant.

Quote    Reply   

#44 [url]

Apr 7 16 11:34 PM

"Irrationality is the square root of all evil."

"In fact, a sense of essence is, in essence, the essence of sense, in effect."

"Perhaps the most concise summary of enlightenment would be: transcending dualism. … Dualism is the conceptual division of the world into categories … human perception is by nature a dualistic phenomenon—which makes the quest for enlightenment an uphill struggle, to say the least."

"Relying on words to lead you to the truth is like relying on an incomplete formal system to lead you to the truth. A formal system will give you some truths, but as we shall soon see, a formal system, no matter how powerful—cannot lead to all truths."

"One of the basic tenets of Zen Buddhism is that there is no way to characterize what Zen is. No matter what verbal space you try to enclose Zen in, it resists, and spills over. It might seem, then, that all efforts to explain Zen are complete wastes of time. But that is not the attitude of Zen masters and students. For instance, Zen koans are a central part of Zen study, verbal though they are. Koans are supposed to be "triggers" which, though they do not contain enough information in themselves to impart enlightenment, may possibly be sufficient to unlock the mechanisms inside one's mind that lead to enlightenment. But in general, the Zen attitude is that words and truth are incompatible, or at least that no words can capture truth."

"Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law."

"It turns out that an eerie type of chaos can lurk just behind a facade of order - and yet, deep inside the chaos lurks an even eerier type of order."

"It is perhaps wrong to say that the enemy of enlightenment is logic; rather, it is dualistic, verbal thinking. In fact, it is even more basic than that: it is perception."

"We create an image of who we are inside our self. The image then becomes very deeply entrenched, and it becomes the thing that we attribute responsibility to - we say "I", "I" did this because "I" wanted to, because "I" am a good person or because "I" am a bad person. The loop is the fact that we represent our selves, our desires, hopes, dreads and dreams: it is the way in which we conceive of ourselves, rather than the way we conceive of Mount Everest or of a tree. And I say it exists entirely in the loop: the self is an hallucination hallucinated by an hallucination."

"I am the thought you are now thinking."

"This sentence contradicts itself - no actually it doesn't."

"Meaning lies as much in the mind of the reader as in the Haiku."

"How gullible are you? Is your gullibility located in some "gullibility center" in your brain? Could a neurosurgeon reach in and perform some delicate operation to lower your gullibility, otherwise leaving you alone? If you believe this, you are pretty gullible, and should perhaps consider such an operation."

-- Douglas Hofstadter

Quote    Reply   

#45 [url]

Apr 29 16 10:04 AM

"Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness."

"One day, someone showed me a glass of water that was half full. And he said, "Is it half full or half empty?" So I drank the water. No more problem."

"Awakening is not a thing. It is not a goal, not a concept. It is not something to be attained. It is a metamorphosis. If the caterpillar thinks about the butterfly it is to become, saying ‘And then I shall have wings and antennae,’ there will never be a butterfly. The caterpillar must accept its own disappearance in its transformation. When the marvellous butterfly takes wing, nothing of the caterpillar remains."

"Failure doesn't mean anything, it just means changing paths."

"What I am trying to do when I use symbols is to awaken in your unconscious some reaction. I am very conscious of what I am using because symbols can be very dangerous. When we use normal language we can defend ourselves because our society is a linguistic society, a semantic society. But when you start to speak, not with words, but only with images, the people cannot defend themselves."

"Let the inner god that is in each one of us speak. The temple is your body, and the priest is your heart: it is from here that every awareness must begin."

"I had to first overcome the nightmares: my dreams were populated by menaces, shadows, murderous persecutions, disgusting events and objects, ambiguous sexual relations that excited me while also making me feel guilty. Here, I was a character inferior to my level of consciousness in the real world, capable of misdeeds that I would never have allowed myself to perpetrate while awake. I repeated many times, like a litany, “It is I who dream, just as it is I who am awake, and not a perverse and vulnerable child. The dreams happen in me; they are part of me. All that appears is myself. These monsters are aspects of me that have not been resolved. They are not my enemies. The subconscious is my ally. I must confront the terrible images and transform them.” I often had the same nightmare: I was in a desert, and a psychic entity determined to destroy me would come from the horizon as a huge cloud of negativity. I would wake up screaming and soaked in sweat. Now, tired of this undignified flight, I decided to offer myself in sacrifice. At the climax of the dream, in a state of lucid terror, I said, “Enough, I will stop wanting to wake up! Abomination, destroy me!” The entity approached threateningly. I stood still, calm. Then, the immense threat dissolved. I woke up for a few seconds, then peacefully went back to sleep. I realized it was I myself who had fed my terrors. I now knew that what terrifies us loses all its power in the moment that we stop fighting it. I began a long period during which whenever I had dreams, instead of running I would face my enemies and ask them what they wanted to tell me. Gradually, the images transformed before me and began to offer me presents: sometimes a ring, other times a golden sphere or a pair of keys. I now understood that just as every devil is a fallen angel, every angel is also a demon that has risen."

"You are excrement. You can change yourself into gold."

"The people with low level of consciousness look for someone else to affirm their value, but people with higher levels of consciousness, what they seek is someone to point out their defects so they can become better."

"Beauty is the maximum limit we can access through language. We cannot reach the truth, but we can get close to it through beauty."

"Once a centenarian teacher who had the body of an adolescent told me he had studied martial arts. "Me, too," I answered. We were in Notre Dame, and he said, "Attack me." I put myself in a combat position, and he moved his left hand in such an incredibly beautiful way that while I looked at it, fascinated, he gave me a big slap. "Beauty is the most dangerous weapon," he warned. It took me a long time to understand. He used a secret Chinese practice, which consists of drawing a snake in the air with your hand to distract the enemy. And that is how beauty is: the most awful weapon."

-- Alejandro Jodorowsky.

Quote    Reply   

#46 [url]

May 7 16 2:29 AM

"The magic begins in you. Feel your own energy, and realize similar energy exists within the Earth, stones, plants, water, wind, fire, colors, and animals."

"Magic is natural. It is a harmonious movement of energies to create a needed change. If you wish to practice magic,
all thoughts of it being paranormal or supernatural must be forgotten."

"Magic is love. All magic should be performed out of love. The moment anger or hatred tinges your magic, you have crossed the border into a dangerous world, one that will ultimately consume you."

"In magical thought the human body is the 'microcosm' (small representation) of the Earth, which is the 'macrocosm'. The Earth is also the microcosm of the Universe. In other words, we are pictures of the essence of the planet and thusly of the universe. As such, when we change ourselves, we change the Earth and the universe."

"In truly understanding the Goddess and God, one comes to understand life, for the two are inextricably entwined. Live your earthly life fully, but try to see the spiritual aspects of your activities as well. Remember—the physical and spiritual are but reflections of each other."

"That perhaps is at the core of Wicca--it is a joyous union with nature. The earth is a manifestation of divine energy. Wicca's temples are flower-splashed meadows, forests, beaches, and deserts. When a Wicca is outdoors, she or he is actually surrounded by sanctity, much as is a Christian when entering a church or cathedral."

"Read as much as you can, discarding negative or disturbing information. Learn by doing, and the Goddess and God will bless you with all that you truly need."

"Seek wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it out also in simple stones, and fragile herbs, and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the whisperings of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are preserved."

13 Goals of a Witch:

1. Know yourself
2. Know your Craft
3. Learn
4. Apply knowledge with wisdom
5. Achieve balance
6. Keep your words in good order
7. Keep your thoughts in good order
8. Celebrate life
9. Attune with the cycles of the Earth
10. Breathe and eat correctly
11. Exercise the body
12. Meditate
13. Honor the Goddess and God

-- Scott Cunningham.

Quote    Reply   

#47 [url]

Jun 3 16 7:30 AM

"A bone to the dog is not charity. Charity is the bone shared with the dog when you are just as hungry as the dog."

"I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather that my spark should burn out in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dry-rot. I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet. The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time."

"Life is not always a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well."

"Don't loaf and invite inspiration; light out after it with a club."

-- Jack London.

Quote    Reply   

#48 [url]

Jun 3 16 10:36 PM

"The so-called paradox of freedom is the argument that freedom in the sense of absence of any constraining control must lead to very great restraint, since it makes the bully free to enslave the meek. The idea is, in a slightly different form, and with very different tendency, clearly expressed in Plato.

Less well known is the paradox of tolerance: Unlimited tolerance must lead to the disappearance of tolerance. If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. — In this formulation, I do not imply, for instance, that we should always suppress the utterance of intolerant philosophies; as long as we can counter them by rational argument and keep them in check by public opinion, suppression would certainly be unwise. But we should claim the right to suppress them if necessary even by force; for it may easily turn out that they are not prepared to meet us on the level of rational argument, but begin by denouncing all argument; they may forbid their followers to listen to rational argument, because it is deceptive, and teach them to answer arguments by the use of their fists or pistols. We should therefore claim, in the name of tolerance, the right not to tolerate the intolerant. We should claim that any movement preaching intolerance places itself outside the law, and we should consider incitement to intolerance and persecution as criminal, in the same way as we should consider incitement to murder, or to kidnapping, or to the revival of the slave trade, as criminal."

"No rational argument will have a rational effect on a man who does not want to adopt a rational attitude."

"Whenever a theory appears to you as the only possible one, take this as a sign that you have neither understood the theory nor the problem which it was intended to solve."

"True ignorance is not the absence of knowledge, but the refusal to acquire it."

"The more we learn about the world, and the deeper our learning, the more conscious, specific, and articulate will be our knowledge of what we do not know; our knowledge of our ignorance. For this indeed, is the main source of our ignorance - the fact that our knowledge can be only finite, while our ignorance must necessarily be infinite."

"You can choose whatever name you like for the two types of government. I personally call the type of government which can be removed without violence "democracy", and the other "tyranny"."

"We must plan for freedom, and not only for security, if for no other reason than that only freedom can make security secure."

"It seems to me certain that more people are killed out of righteous stupidity than out of wickedness."

-- Karl Popper.

Quote    Reply   

#49 [url]

Jun 9 16 9:08 AM

"For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. You receive from the world what you give to the world."

"When you have an emotional reaction to what you see, you are judging. That is your signal that you have an issue inside of yourself - with yourself - not with the other person. If you react to evil, look inside yourself for the very thing that so agitates you, and you will find it. If it were not there, you will simply discern, act appropriately, and move on."

"A power struggle collapses when you withdraw your energy from it. Power struggles become uninteresting to you when you change your intention from winning to learning about yourself."

"Acceptance without proof is the fundamental characteristic of Western religion, rejection without proof is the fundamental characteristic of Western science."

"This is how to avoid re-creating painful situations: Take the time to discover your real intention before you act. If it is to change someone or the world so that you will feel safe or better about yourself, don't act on it, because it is an intention of fear and can create only painful consequences."

"The purpose of our journey on this precious Earth is now to align our personalities with our souls. It is to create harmony, cooperation, sharing, and reverence for Life. It is to grow spiritually. This is our new evolutionary pathway. The old pathway - pursuing the ability to manipulate and control - no longer works. It now produces only violence and destruction."

"Evil needs to be understood for what it is: the dynamic of the absence of Light. It is not something that one should prepare to battle, to run from, or to outlaw."

-- Gary Zukav.

Quote    Reply   

#50 [url]

Jul 7 16 3:00 AM

"Zen is the "spirit of the valley." The only Zen you can find on the tops of mountains is the Zen you bring up there."

"The place to improve the world is first in one's own heart and head and hands, and then work outward from there."

"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, "Go away, I'm looking for the truth," and so it goes away. Puzzling."

"Mountains should be climbed with as little effort as possible and without desire. The reality of your own nature should determine the speed. If you become restless, speed up. If you become winded, slow down. You climb the mountain in an equilibrium between restlessness and exhaustion. Then, when you are no longer thinking ahead, each footstep isn't just a means to an an end but a unique event in itself. This leaf has jagged edges. This rock looks loose. From this place the snow is less visible, even though closer. These are things you should notice anyway. To live only for some future goal is shallow. It’s the sides of the mountain that sustain life, not the top. Here's where things grow."

"Metaphysics is a restaurant where they give you a thirty thousand page menu, and no food."

"The place to improve the world is first in one's own heart and head and hands, and then work outward from there."

"You are never dedicated to something you have complete confidence in. No one is fanatically shouting that the sun is going to rise tomorrow. They know it's going to rise tomorrow. When people are fanatically dedicated to political or religious faiths or any other kinds of dogmas or goals, it's always because these dogmas or goals are in doubt."

"The law of gravity and gravity itself did not exist before Isaac Newton." ...and what that means is that that law of gravity exists nowhere except in people's heads! It 's a ghost!
Mind has no matter or energy but they can't escape its predominance over everything they do. Logic exists in the mind. numbers exist only in the mind. I don't get upset when scientists say that ghosts exist in the mind. it's that only that gets me. science is only in your mind too, it's just that that doesn't make it bad. or ghosts either.
Laws of nature are human inventions, like ghosts. Law of logic, of mathematics are also human inventions, like ghosts.
...we see what we see because these ghosts show it to us, ghosts of Moses and Christ and the Buddha, and Plato, and Descartes, and Rousseau and Jefferson and Lincoln, on and on and on. Isaac Newton is a very good ghost. One of the best. Your common sense is nothing more than the voices of thousands and thousands of these ghosts from the past."

"Peace of mind produces right values, right values produce right thoughts. Right thoughts produce right actions and right actions produce work which will be a material reflection for others to see of the serenity at the center of it all."

"You want to know how to paint a perfect painting? It's easy. Make yourself perfect and then just paint naturally."

"When analytic thought, the knife, is applied to experience, something is always killed in the process."

-- Robert M. Pirsig.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#51 [url]

Aug 21 16 11:00 PM

"Great works are performed not by strength but by perseverance."

"Integrity without knowledge is weak and useless, and knowledge without integrity is dangerous and dreadful."

"What we hope ever to do with ease, we must learn first to do with diligence."

"He who has so little knowledge of human nature as to seek happiness by changing anything but his own disposition will waste his life in fruitless efforts."

"To keep your secret is wisdom; but to expect others to keep it is folly."

"Wine gives a man nothing... it only puts in motion what had been locked up in frost."

"Life cannot subsist in society but by reciprocal concessions."

"Kindness is in our power, even when fondness is not."

"I am not yet so lost in lexicography, as to forget that words are the daughters of earth, and that things are the sons of heaven. Language is only the instrument of science, and words are but the signs of ideas: I wish, however, that the instrument might be less apt to decay, and that signs might be permanent, like the things which they denote."

"Knowledge is more than equivalent to force. The master of mechanicks laughs at strength."

-- Samuel Johnson

Quote    Reply   

#52 [url]

Sep 9 16 6:33 AM

"Young Knight learn to love God and revere women so that your honour grows. Practice knighthood and learn the Art that dignifies you, and brings you honour in wars. Wrestle well and wield lance, spear, sword, and dagger manfully, whose use in others' hands is wasted. Strike bravely and hard there! Rush to strike or miss. Those with wisdom loath the one forced to defend. This you should grasp: All arts have length and measure. Whatever you undertake, use deliberation. In earnest or in play, be of good cheer and vitality, so you may be attentive and with good courage ponder what action you should take, so that none may touch you, since good courage and strength make your enemies hesitate. Keep in mind to give no-one any advantage. Avoid foolhardiness, do not attempt to match four or six opponents at once. Restrain your ambition, this will benefit you. He is a courageous man who can stand against his equal, while it is no shame to flee from four or six."

-- Johannes Lichtenauer.

Quote    Reply   

#53 [url]

Sep 9 16 7:25 AM

1. Motto 
Let us have a universal spirit that loves and protects all creation and helps all things grow and develop. To unify mind and body and become one with the universe is the ultimate purpose of our study. 
Four major principles to unify mind and body: 
1. keep one-point 
2. relax completely 
3. keep weight underside and 
4. extend ki. 

2. The value of our existence 
Our lives are born of the Ki of the Universe. Let us give thanks for being born not as plants and animals, but as human beings blessed with a Universal Mind. Let us pledge to fulfil our missions by helping to guide the development and creation of the Universe. 

3.The way to union with ki 
The absolute universe is one. We call this ki. Our lives and our bodies are born of the ki of the universe. Study thoroughly the principles of the universe and practice them. We are one with the universe. There is no need to despond, no need to fear. The way we follow is the way of the universe, which no difficulty nor hard-ship can hinder. Let us have the courage and say, ‘if I have a clear conscience and a calm spirit, I dare to face an enemy of ten million”. 

4. Unification of mind & body 
Mind and body were originally one. Do not think that the power you have is only the power you ordinarily use and moan that you have little strength. The power you ordinarily use is like the small visible segment of an iceberg. When we unify our mind and body and become one with the universe, we can use the great power that is naturally ours. 

5. The one point in the lower abdomen 
The universe is a limitless circle with a limitless radius. This condensed becomes the one point in the lower abdomen, which is the centre of the universe. Let us concentrate our mind in this one point and become one with and send our ki constantly to the universe. 6. Relaxation We are accustomed to having trouble with nervousness unnecessarily. Nervousness causes blood vessels to contract, making it difficult for the impurities to leave the body, and thus makes one susceptible to many diseases. Relaxation is truly the elixir of life. Let us spread the true method of relaxation, which enables us to meet each day with a spirit like that of a mild spring breeze. If we practice this, we never need get nervous and excited in our daily affairs.

7. Living calmness 
The weight of objects is always naturally underside. Therefore the physical expression of living calmness is that the weight of every part of the body is also underside. Like the calm still surface water that reflects the moon and a flying bird, true living calmness is the condition of our mind that reflects all things clearly. This is our original and natural state. By understanding these principles, we can acquire true living calmness. 

8. Plus life 
The absolute universe is one. Then two opposing forces appeared, and the relative world was born. In the orient this dualism is called ‘yin’ and ‘yang’, in the west, ‘plus’ and ‘minus’. a bright happy life is called a ‘plus life’, and a dark gloomy one is called ‘minus’. Let us eliminate every minus thought and strive for plus life henceforth. 

9. The subconscious 
The subconscious mind acts as a storehouse of knowledge and past experiences. The materials stored in the subconscious mind form the conscious mind. Henceforth let us cease putting any minus materials into the subconscious. Let us always extend plus ki and live our life with a positive attitude. 

10. The principle of non-dissension 
There is no conflict in the absolute universe, but there is conflict in the relative world. If we unify our mind and body become one with the universe, others will follow us gladly. Do not say that this is a world where we must struggle to live each day. The true way to success is exactly one and the same as the principle of non-dissension, and that is the way of peace.  

11. The definition of ki 
We begin with the number one in counting all things. It is impossible that this one can ever be reduced to zero. Because just as something cannot be made of nothing, one cannot be made from zero. Ki is like the number one. Ki is formed from infinitely small particles, smaller than an atom. The universal ki condensed becomes an individual, which further condensed becomes the one point in the lower abdomen, which in turn infinitely condensed never becomes zero, but becomes one with the universe. Thus we understand the essence of ki. 

12. Ki development exercises 
It is easier to coordinate mind and body when we are sitting or standing still than when we are in motion. But true unification means to maintain the coordination of mind and body even when we are moving. The ki development exercises train one to always maintain the unification of mind and body in our daily life. By applying them to our life, we can perform to the best of our ability in all circumstances. 

13. The unity of calm and action 
Just as tops spinning violently and rapidly becomes steady, the most rapid movements results in calm. Like the eye of the typhoon, which, is always peaceful, inner calm results in great strength of action. Calm and action are exactly one. Only when we keep our one point and unify our mind and body, can we find spare time even when we are busy. Keep a calm mind and you will be able to perform to the best of your ability, even in an emergency or when facing important tasks. 

14. Fudoshin 
True ‘fudoshin’ is not a rigid, immobile state of mind, but the condition of stability, which comes from the most rapid movement. In other words, like the steadiness of a spinning top, the state of perfect spiritual and physical stability arises from movement, which continues infinitely and is so infinitely rapid that it is imperceptible. This movement is condensed at the one point in the lower abdomen. By putting everything in the one point, we can experience ‘fudoshin’ and not lose our stability no matter what happens.  

15. Ki breathing exercises 
Breathe out, so that your breath travels infinitely to the ends of the universe: breathe in, so that your breath reaches your one point and continues infinitely there. The ki breathing methods are an important way of unifying mind and body. At night when all is quiet and calm, do this alone, and you will feel that you are the universe and that the universe is you. It will lead you to supreme ecstasy of being one with the universe. At this moment the life power that is rightfully yours is fully activated. 

16. Kiatsuho - pressing with ki 
We have learned coordination of mind and body and the ‘ki breathing methods’. Therefore we can bring the ki of the universe into our bodies at anytime. When a water pump is dried out, no water can flow from the well up through the pump. To start this flow again we must put some water back into the pump. In the same way, ki does not flow strongly in a person suffering from illness or misfortune. Let us practice ‘kiatsuho’ to put back into these people, stimulate their own flow of ki, and give them a fresh start to happiness. 

17. Reiseishin - the universal mind 
We are blessed with a spirit that is one with the spirit of the universe. This spirit is called ‘reiseishin’. The moon is clearly reflected in the water when the water is calm. In the same way when our mind and body are unified and calm, our ‘reiseishin’ manifests itself completely. Once this happens all suffering and wicked desires fall away, and the universal spirit of love and protection for all things appears in us. Let us strive to realise our ‘reiseishin’. 

18. The mind that seeks truth 
We call the mind that wants to make the way of the Universe clear and to put it into practice the mind that seeks truth. However clever a dog or a monkey may be, they cannot realize the universal mind. Only human beings have the privilege and capacity to realise it. If you have a mind that seeks truth, you are happy because this is the proof that you are a real human being.  

19. Willpower 
An old oriental saying tells us, ‘when our willpower is concentrated upon a stone, it can pass through it. When our willpower is focused and in harmony with the universe, it can command the wind, rain and thunder’. But from where does our willpower come? Those who understand and answer this question are those who accomplish important tasks. When we coordinate mind and body by stilling the waves of our mind to imperceptible, infinitely decreasing ripples, we can send forth our great willpower that moves the universe. 

20. Intoku - good done in secret 
Just as the number one never can be reduced to zero, once we act or speak, our action or speech is never completely erased. An old oriental saying tells us, ‘sow good, and the harvest will be good. Sow evil and reap evil’. We must understand that everything we do comes back to ourselves. Therefore before wishing for our own happiness and welfare and that of our children, we must do good in secret. To do good in secret means to act without seeking attention and praise, to act without any hope of reward. This is called ‘intoku’. Among the various ways of performing intoku, to walk the way of the universe and to lead others along this way is best. 

21. Setsudo - teaching the way of the universe. 
Selfish people have never understood and travelled the way of the universe in the past. Therefore when we realise the principles and the way of the universe, the universe gives us the responsibility to spread them to the world. Do not think that you cannot help another person. What you learn today, you can teach another the next day. The world is full of people who have lost the way of the universe and suffer illness. Let us do our best to explain the correct principles of the universe to them. 

22. The treasure of ki testing. 
Having no colour, no odour and no shape, the mind is not something that can be grasped by the senses. However, based on the principle that the mind and body are actually one, we can know the state of this ungraspable mind by testing the body, which is available to our senses. Ki tests are not founded on the idea of testing for strength or weakness. The most important factor in ki testing is to accurately inform the person of the state of his or her mind. Thus, the person performing ki tests must truly understand and exhibit oneness of mind and body from the outset and then perform the tests correctly. 

23. Nature appears to us in four seasons. 
The spring is bright and warm, the summer lazy and hot. The fall is decked with colour with a trace of sadness, and the winter frosted and severe. Similarly, the movement of shin shin toitsu aikido are rich and varied. There is both severity and kindness, speed and calmness. It is designed to express the many moods and characteristics of men and women, young and old. But if it for one moment varies from the principles of the universe, it is no longer aikido with ki. 

24. ‘Do nothing’ does not mean ‘don’t do anything’, ‘mu’ or ‘nothing’ is not merely the lack of something. It refers to the state in which the mind has grown imperceptibly calm, and then allowed things to take their natural course. If you can leave things entirely up to the universe and not put up the slightest resistance, then you can pass the highest level of ki tests 

25. After realising a principle, unless you learn it with your body you cannot expect to get true understanding. Scholars in particular tend to learn in theory only. You must practice to be able to return to essential principles at any moment. 

26. Things appear very complex but underneath they are quite simple. People complicate things by super-imposing their own viewpoints and advantages. If you remove all that is superfluous, most problems have very simple solutions. 

27. When you teach people it is useless to try to change their character. Correct their bad habits first, then their true character can come through. Teachers must have a positive mind. If their attitude is negative, it infects their students. Students cannot learn from bad examples until they develop their own powers of judgement. 

28. Until you can clearly make up your mind, you are better off not doing something. Make a habit of being decisive in your daily affairs. Some people can be heard to say, ‘what will I do if I get killed?!’ If you die, there is nothing you can do. Whatever you have to do, do it now, while you are still living. You must practice to be able to return to essential principles at any moment. 

29. Human beings cannot grow without feeling gratitude. Gratitude towards things is an attitude which fosters growth. 

30. Be vigorous and full of energy, and make ceaseless efforts. As instructors you must always be full of positive ki. This means that little things do not discourage you and that you approach all things boldly with an attitude of determination. Whenever you enter the dojo you must be in a positive frame of mind. Your students come to the dojo in order to change their minds from minus to plus. If the instructor is minus, there is no need to come. 

31. The ki of the universe is absolute. There is no such thing as strong ki verses weak ki. Correctly speaking, ki is strong only because it is strongly extended, weak only when it is not extended strongly. There is no limit to how strong your ki can become if you train yourself to extend ki strongly. 

32. The body has limits, the mind does not. It is fine to train your body, but you should not stop there. While you are still young, you must train your mind. The body ages, but the mind does not. Aikido with ki becomes effective the older you get, because you become less attached to your physical strength and so can relax completely. Aikido without ki becomes weaker and weaker with age. 

33. There are people who say, ‘oh, I’ve heard that story before’, when they listen to a ki lecture. In doing this, they miss the chance to discover something new in it. The fact that it sounds the same to them is just proof that their mind is too small to contain it. 

34. The ki of the universe has never for a moment stopped moving. We call this continuous growth and development. Do you think it strange that human beings seem to be the only one trying to stop the movement of ki? 

35. Because the four basic principles are ultimately the same, if you get one, you naturally have the other three. However, in practice it is not that easy. When you teach from one direction, you tend to go too far, and when you approach from the other direction, you tend to do likewise. So you must swing back and forth like a pendulum, gradually approaching the centre. It seems after all, that you do need four different approaches. 

36. What good does it do if you can coordinate body and mind only in a quiet place? If you cannot be unified in the midst of your daily work, what good does it do you? If you want to experience true calmness, you must find ways to calm the waves of your mind in daily life. 

37. By trying to get rid of distracting thoughts, that very effort only further disturbs the mind. Just as you cannot calm waves on the waters’ surface by trying to smooth them out with your hand, the mind cannot calm itself. If you try too hard to extend ki, you become tense and it does not work. If you try too hard to calm the mind at the one point, you become too tense to do it. Rather than think that you must extend ki or keep one point, just think that ki is already extending, or that your mind is already calm at the one point, and let it alone. 

38. Ki power is real power. If you send it out, it goes out. In the same way it is possible to protect someone at a distance. When you believe and act as if ki power is real, then it becomes effective.  

39. Since you have got to keep breathing as long as you live, you might as well practice ki breathing. The blowing of the wind and the flowing of the clouds are expressions of the rhythms of the universe. Each individual leaf that falls off a tree falls with its own rhythm. The same is true of ki breathing. There is a proper rhythm to exhaling and inhaling. 

40. People who are fast learners tend to pick things up so quickly that they lose out on the opportunity for repetitious learning. Even if you learn something quickly with your conscious mind, you will easily forget it after you stop practising. That which is learned with the subconscious mind is not easily forgotten. Therefore to learn something with the subconscious mind, requires months and years of training. Just because you were able to do it before, do not assume that you can do it as well the second time. Each time you do something, you must return to your beginner’s mind, and give it your best. 

41. You must not think of what you learned as belonging to you. Your learning was only possible because of the people who taught you. If you forget this, before you know it you fall under the illusion that you are the only one who can do it, or the only one who understands. This is called being full of yourself. It is wrong to think, ‘I am strong’, because this strength is nothing but weakness turned inside out. You must think how to act within universal principles. 

42. Instructors must always be positive. Even if someone fails at something, you must have the energy to help them turn it into success. When teaching, always compare the correct way with the incorrect way, side by side. Then the reasons for the correct way become obvious. You must know both. 

43. In order to lead with confidence you must first have ki extended. Whenever you undertake a task, before you begin you should tell yourself that you can and will do it. If you make a habit of this you will find that you can accomplish most anything that you try. If you find yourself forced to go into a dangerous place, it is all the more important to extend very strong plus ki. 

44. If you let yourself take things easy after you have finished a major task, then your ki slackens and you will be unprepared for the next job. How can you expect to get anything done this way? If you do not slacken your ki, then you will not be caught unprepared. Why do you think we practice eight-way exercises for sending your ki equally in all directions? 

45. You yourself do not heal the other person with Kiatsuho. By filling your own body with the ki of the universe, you are able to then put it into the other person’s body, stimulating that person’s life force, which is what does the healing. In order to do this, the person giving kiatsu must first unify mind and body. 

46. If you throw a stone into a lake, it makes waves on the surface. Eventually the waves disappear, but just because you can longer see them does not mean that they are really gone. They have just become too small for us to see them. In the same way, we calm our mind by half, half, half... and the waves of the mind become infinitely calm. They never actually stop. 

47. They say that you must sit upon a rock for three years. If you persist at something for that period of time, you will gradually achieve a tangible result. When you meet an obstacle in training, you should just quietly persevere. You will then always be able to overcome that obstacle, though later you will meet another. This process is repeated infinitely. But the reason that you can go on is that you know that the wall will eventually disappear. Is that not the same as having no wall to begin with? 

48. When learning something new, you must never be critical at the beginning. Always do your thinking after trial and error. Most people make up their mind one way or the other before they even get started. The most important step is to remove your coloured glasses and get a clear view. 

49. When your techniques are rough it means you are forcing against the principles; proof that you are still immature. You will not be able to stand up to a stronger opponent you must try to follow the principles. Your character comes out in your techniques. So do the habits of your mind. By correcting the techniques, you can correct the bad habits of your mind. If you constantly collide with others in your practice, your mind will develop a habit of clashing with other people. 

50. The purpose of ki-aikido is not self-defence; that is a mere by product. It is far more important to learn to control the mind and body. It is too late to try to calm the mind after you take up the sword. First you must calm the mind and then take up the sword. When you raise the sword up overhead, do not cut your ki. Continue to calm the mind by half, half, half and create a living calmness in that infinite reduction. When practising cutting with the sword, you will find infinitely more value in cutting just five to ten times with ki fully extended, than you would in cutting a thousand time with mere physical strength. 

51. Some people are quick to find reasons and excuses why they cannot do things. This cuts their Ki and in times stifles their motivation altogether. Motivation is extending Ki, not receiving it. People today are more concerned with what they can get, than what they can give or do for others. That is why they cannot extend Ki. Even our own training can be as intoku or good done in secret. Because someday it will bear fruit in the ability to help others develop. 

52. Until you change the sub conscience mind, you cannot say that you have learned something. If something is worth learning, you should stick with it until you have changed your subconscious mind. If you want something to go smoothly, send your ki to it fully. Being lazy only makes it harder. Ultimately, you give up. Sending your ki to something is the easiest way to proceed. 

53. If you hold a wooden staff with a tight grip and try to raise it overhead, it feels quite heavy. If you hold it lightly it feels light. In the same way you should not approach things with too serious an attitude. Take a lighter point of view. In other words, think positively.

-- Koichi Tohei.

Last Edited By: Lord Morgue Sep 9 16 7:29 AM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

#54 [url]

Oct 27 16 9:39 PM

"One of the difficulties of being the good guys is that even open societies have to have secret police, and secret police turn toward repression as a compass points north."

"You asked for wisdom? Hear these words. Nothing limits intelligence more than ignorance; nothing fosters ignorance more than one's own opinions; nothing strengthens opinions more than refusing to look at reality."

"[T]he scripture worshippers put the writings ahead of God. Instead of interpreting God's actions in nature, for example, they interpret nature in the light of the Scripture. Nature says the rock is billions of years old, but the book says different, so even though men wrote the book, and God made the rock and God gave us minds that have found ways to tell how old it is, we still choose to believe the Scripture."

"The sidesaddle was designed to protect a maiden's virginity, while risking the maiden's neck. Rather much for rather little, I thought."

"I think... girls have a hard time being interesting. It’s actually easier to be famous, or notorious, than it is to be interesting. In our world, girls climb very well until they hit puberty-sexual maturity-and then they begin to fall out of the tree. They start role-playing instead of thinking, flirting instead of learning. They start admiring how smart the boys are-or how athletic or how handsome-instead of concentrating on their own intelligence."

"I tell you, lad, that men will believe if one says, "The Gods say..." They will believe if one says, "I had a Vision..." They will believe if one says, "It was told me on a tablet of hidden gold..." But, if one says, "History teaches," then they will not believe."

-- Sheri S. Tepper.

Quote    Reply   

#55 [url]

Nov 11 16 8:34 AM

"What is a saint? A saint is someone who has achieved a remote human possibility. It is impossible to say what that possibility is. I think it has something to do with the energy of love. Contact with this energy results in the exercise of a kind of balance in the chaos of existence. A saint does not dissolve the chaos; if he did the world would have changed long ago. I do not think that a saint dissolves the chaos even for himself, for there is something arrogant and warlike in the notion of a man setting the universe in order. It is a kind of balance that is his glory. He rides the drifts like an escaped ski. His course is the caress of the hill. His track is a drawing of the snow in a moment of its particular arrangement with wind and rock. Something in him so loves the world that he gives himself to the laws of gravity and chance. Far from flying with the angels, he traces with the fidelity of a seismograph needle the state of the solid bloody landscape. His house is dangerous and finite, but he is at home in the world. He can love the shape of human beings, the fine and twisted shapes of the heart. It is good to have among us such men, such balancing monsters of love."

"God is alive. Magic is afoot. God is alive. Magic is afoot. God is afoot. Magic is alive. Alive is afoot. Magic never died. God never sickened. Many poor men lied. Many sick men lied. Magic never weakened. Magic never hid. Magic always ruled. God is afoot. God was ruler though his funeral lengthened. Though his mourners thickened Magic never fled..."

""You have loved enough, now let me be the lover." You could say that God is speaking to you or the cosmos, or your lover. It just means, like, Forget it. Lean back and be loved by all that is already loving you. It is your effort at love that is preventing you from experiencing it. It is like if you ever taught kids how to swim. The most difficult thing is Goddam to understand that they will float, if they relax, if they hold their breath and relax, they will actually float. For most kids it is difficult to swim. They feel they are going to sink like a stone to the bottom of the lake."

"When it all comes down to dust I will kill you if I must, I will help you if I can.
When it all comes down to dust I will help you if I must, I will kill you if I can."

"I finally broke into the prison
I found my place in the chain
Even damnation is poisoned with rainbows"

"I come from a country where we do not have the same struggles as you have. I respect your struggles. And it may surprise you, but I respect both sides of this struggle. It seems to be that in Europe there needs to be a left foot and a right foot to move forward. I wish that both feet move forward and the body moves towards its proper destiny. This is an intense country; the people are heroic, the spirit is independent. It is a difficult country to govern, it needs a strong government and a strong union. … I would like to say to you, to the leaders of the left, and the leaders of the right, I sing... I sing for everyone. My song has no flag, my song has no party. And I say the prayer, that we said in our synagogue, I say it for the leader of your union and the leader of your party. May the Lord put a spirit, a wisdom and understanding into the hearts of your leaders and into the hearts of all their counsellors."

"I don't know which side is anybody on any more. I don't really care. There is a moment when we have to transcend the side we're on and understand that we are creatures of a higher order. That doesn't mean that I don't wish you courage in your struggle. There is on both sides of the struggle men of good will. That is important to remember. On both sides of the struggle, some struggling for freedom, some struggling for safety and solemn testimony of that unbroken faith which binds generations one to another I sing this song, "If It Be Your Will""

"Ring the bells that still can ring.
Forget your perfect offering.
There is a crack in everything.
That's how the light gets in."

"Children show scars like medals. Lovers use them as secrets to reveal. A scar is what happens when the word is made flesh.
It is easy to display a wound, the proud scars of combat. It is hard to show a pimple."

-- Leonard Cohen.

Quote    Reply   

#56 [url]

Nov 27 16 2:39 AM

"One must acknowledge with cryptography no amount of violence will ever solve a math problem."

"Amesys were caught with their own internal documents in The Spy Files. If we’re going to talk about it in terms of weapons, we have to remember it is not like selling a country a truck. It’s like selling a country a truck, a mechanic and a team that goes in the truck that selectively targets people and then shoots them."

"There’s no real separation between the real world and the Internet. What we’ve begun to see now is a militarisation of that space."

"Information is power. If you have information about the whole planet you have power over the whole planet. By knowing what people do in Germany they, of course, have power over them."

"Cryptography shifts the balance of power from those with a monopoly on violence to those who comprehend mathematics and security design."

"And I love the people there. Sergey Brin and Larry Page are cool. But I'm terrified of the next generation that takes over. A benevolent dictatorship is still a dictatorship. At some point people are going to realise that Google has everything on everyone. Most of all, they can see what questions you're asking, in real time. Quite literally, they can read your mind."

"I've heard quite a lot of people that talk about post-privacy, and they talk about it in terms of feeling like, you know, it's too late, we're done for, there's just no possibility for privacy left anymore and we just have to get used to it. And this is a pretty fascinating thing, because it seems to me that you never hear a feminist say that we're post-consent because there is rape. And why is that? The reason is that it's bullshit.
We can't have a post-privacy world until we're post-privilege. So when we cave in our autonomy, then we can sort of say, "well, okay, we don't need privacy anymore, in fact we don't have privacy anymore, and I'm okay with that." Realistically though people are not comfortable with that. Because, if you only look at it from a position of privilege, like, say, white man on a stage, then yeah, maybe post-privacy works out okay for those people. But if you have ever not been, or if you are currently not, a white man with a passport from one of the five good nations in the world, it might not really work out well for you, and in fact it might be designed specifically such that it will continue to not work out well for you, because the structures themselves produce these inequalities. 
So when you hear someone talk about post-privacy, I think it's really important to engage them about their own privilege in the system and what it is they are actually arguing for."

"So we should, I think, stop trying to fool ourselves when we say that we don't care about things, or that we want to help, but we don't help the things that are obvious and directly in front of our face. We should try to work together, I think, to try to build independent structures to replace the parts of the state that have been dismantled.
This is something which is I think highfallutin and difficult for people to grok, but part of the reason that we loose so much in our societies is because we don't have democratic control over the things that matter to us. 
So what we need to do is to try to replace those structures. The structures especially that are missing. And that includes stuff that's not very sexy, like child care or education, as well as, you know, open and free base bands for cell phones. It's all related. So I think we have to move from a world where we act, not just a world where we react."

-- Jacob Appelbaum.

Quote    Reply   

#57 [url]

Dec 16 16 8:08 AM

"Own only what you can always carry with you: know languages, know countries, know people. Let your memory be your travel bag."

"You only have power over people as long as you don't take everything away from them. But when you've robbed a man of everything, he's no longer in your power--he's free again."

"A state of war only serves as an excuse for domestic tyranny."

"Gradually it was disclosed to me that the line separating good and evil passes not through states, nor between classes, nor between political parties either -- but right through every human heart -- and through all human hearts. This line shifts. Inside us, it oscillates with the years."

"Violence can only be concealed by a lie, and the lie can only be maintained by violence."

"It is not because the truth is too difficult to see that we make mistakes. It may even lie on the surface; but we make mistakes because the easiest and most comfortable course for us is to seek insight where it accords with our emotions — especially selfish ones."

"If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"

"Macbeth’s self-justifications were feeble – and his conscience devoured him. Yes, even Iago was a little lamb too. The imagination and the spiritual strength of Shakespeare’s evildoers stopped short at a dozen corpses. Because they had no ideology."

-- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn.

Quote    Reply   

#58 [url]

Jan 3 17 4:41 AM

"The only reason we don't open our hearts and minds to other people is that they trigger confusion in us that we don't feel brave enough or sane enough to deal with. To the degree that we look clearly and compassionately at ourselves, we feel confident and fearless about looking into someone else's eyes."

"The most fundamental aggression to ourselves, the most fundamental harm we can do to ourselves, is to remain ignorant by not having the courage and the respect to look at ourselves honestly and gently."

"You are the sky. Everything else – it’s just the weather."

"Compassion is not a relationship between the healer and the wounded. It's a relationship between equals. Only when we know our own darkness well can we be present with the darkness of others. Compassion becomes real when we recognise our shared humanity."

"Feelings like disappointment, embarrassment, irritation, resentment, anger, jealousy, and fear, instead of being bad news, are actually very clear moments that teach us where it is that we’re holding back. They teach us to perk up and lean in when we feel we’d rather collapse and back away. They’re like messengers that show us, with terrifying clarity, exactly where we’re stuck. This very moment is the perfect teacher, and, lucky for us, it’s with us wherever we are."

"Fear is a natural reaction to moving closer to the truth."

"People get into a heavy-duty sin and guilt trip, feeling that if things are going wrong, that means that they did something bad and they are being punished. That's not the idea at all. The idea of karma is that you continually get the teachings that you need to open your heart. To the degree that you didn't understand in the past how to stop protecting your soft spot, how to stop armouring your heart, you're given this gift of teachings in the form of your life, to give you everything you need to open further."

"Life is glorious, but life is also wretched. It is both. Appreciating the gloriousness inspires us, encourages us, cheers us up, gives us a bigger perspective, energises us. We feel connected. But if that's all that's happening, we get arrogant and start to look down on others, and there is a sense of making ourselves a big deal and being really serious about it, wanting it to be like that forever. The gloriousness becomes tinged by craving and addiction. On the other hand, wretchedness--life's painful aspect--softens us up considerably. Knowing pain is a very important ingredient of being there for another person. When you are feeling a lot of grief, you can look right into somebody's eyes because you feel you haven't got anything to lose--you're just there. The wretchedness humbles us and softens us, but if we were only wretched, we would all just go down the tubes. We'd be so depressed, discouraged, and hopeless that we wouldn't have enough energy to eat an apple. Gloriousness and wretchedness need each other. One inspires us, the other softens us. They go together."

"Only to the extent that we expose ourselves over and over to annihilation can that which is indestructible in us be found."

"Most of us do not take these situations as teachings. We automatically hate them. We run like crazy. We use all kinds of ways to escape -- all addictions stem from this moment when we meet our edge and we just can't stand it. We feel we have to soften it, pad it with something, and we become addicted to whatever it is that seems to ease the pain."

"Nothing ever goes away until it has taught us what we need to know."

-- Pema Chödrön.

Quote    Reply   

#59 [url]

Feb 2 17 11:15 PM

"To put everything in balance is good, to put everything in harmony is better."

"Reason is intelligence taking exercise. Imagination is intelligence with an erection."

"I don't mind what Congress does, as long as they don't do it in the streets and frighten the horses."

-- Victor Hugo.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help